ESTA for Citizens of Poland: Travelling to the USA Visa-Free

ESTA for Citizens of Poland

  • Language: Polski
  • Country: Poland
  • ESTA Required: Yes

Before making any plans to go to the US, all citizens of Poland must first obtain a travel permit, either a visa or an easier alternative - an ESTA.

But not everyone will qualify for an ESTA, so read on to find out what it is, how to acquire it and if you even qualify for it!

1. Is Poland included in the Visa Waiver Program?

Yes, good news, as of November 11, 2019, Poland is included in the Visa Waiver Program.

But, as the countries on the list can change, it is up to each individual traveller to check beforehand if his/her country is still on the VWP list.

2. Do Polish need a visa to the USA?

No, provided your trip is for less than 90 days and for business, travel or transit purposes, citizens of Poland can travel to the USA on an ESTA instead of a visa.

It’s important to not confuse a visa with an ESTA travel authorization. They are not the same thing!

Keep reading to find out the details.

3. ESTA vs. Visa: what is the difference?

The most important thing to keep in mind is that an ESTA is not a visa or any form of a visa.

ESTA, short for Electronic System for Travel Authorization, is a new form of travel authorization that is only available to citizens of countries within the Visa Waiver Program.

It allows visa-free travel for short trips for limited purposes provided you comply with the eligibility criteria.

Longer trips or trips for purposes other than business, travel and transit, will require a visa. Travellers who don’t comply with all of the eligibility criteria of the ESTA will also need a visa.


Before planning your trip to the US, apply for an ESTA for citizens of Poland!

Apply for USA ESTA Today

4. What are the ESTA requirements for Polish citizens?

Aside from trip length and purpose, there are some other eligibility requirements for ESTA applicants. These include:

  • Having no criminal convictions of moral turpitude
  • Having no communicable diseases
  • Not sharing citizenship with Poland and either Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan or North Korea
  • Not having visited Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, Libya or North Korea since March 1st 2011
  • Not having previously overstayed an ESTA or visa in the US and not having previously been deported for any reason

If you do not comply with all of these eligibility requirements, you will need to apply for a visa instead of an ESTA.

5. How long is an ESTA valid for?

Your ESTA is valid for 2 years from the day it has been approved, provided your passport doesn’t expire during this time. Once your passport expires, your ESTA expires with it.

Within this time period, you may travel to the US multiple times (within reason), provided that each stay in the States is 90 days or less. If you abuse the 90-day rule, there’s a very high chance that future ESTA applications will be denied or you will not be granted entry in the USA once at U.S. customs.

Whenever you would like to check the validity of your ESTA, fill out this simple ESTA validity check form online.

6. When to apply for your ESTA?

We highly recommend applying for your ESTA a minimum 72 hours prior to your trip departure.

Though the majority of ESTAs will be approved with no problems, there could be a simple mistake such as a spelling error that could require you to apply again. Furthermore, if your ESTA is denied after the background check, you will need to apply for a visa which could take up to 2 months.